Thursday, October 2, 2008

"Now Autumn's fire burns slowly along the woods." -William Allingham

It's that season again! The season where the sweaters come out and the crispness of the cool air reminds you of juicy, sweet apples and big orange pumpkins. It's the season where the world turns vibrant and rich in its color, the deep azure sky a perfect complement to the orange of the mountains. Finally, you can light up that fireplace and drink cider and cocoa while cuddled up in your sweats or favorite comfy quilt.

I love fall! It's my favorite season. I love "sweater-weather" and the smells and colors. I am reminded of my childhood and the fun we had with raking leaves and making "leaf houses" and mazes. Anticipating Halloween, and coming home from school in the cold to find a warm house (sometimes a fire going) and frosted sugar cookies shaped like pumpkins and bats.

Just recently my husband, son, and I went up into the mountains to see the fall foliage and to take pictures. These pictures posted here are some of the scenes we got to see. It was gorgeous and I honestly couldn't compare it to any other season. Perhaps the author Albert Camus said it best - "Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower."


So welcome, October, my favorite month of all! Here is a little poem in celebration of your arrival....

October gave a party;
The leaves by hundreds came -
The Chestnuts, Oaks, and Maples,
And leaves of every name.
The Sunshine spread a carpet,
And everything was grand,
Miss Weather led the dancing,
Professor Wind the band.
~George Cooper,
"October's Party"

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Fall is my absolute favorite. There is something about crisp fall air and changing leaves that kind of renews the spirit. As a side note Amy, you really have a way with words. What a beautifully poetic blog entry.

bonnie jack said...

fall is great and all, but it means winter is coming, and i don't like winter. so i'm holding a grudge against fall.

btw, i'm supposed to tell you i tagged you on my blog.

CAF said...

Love that Cooper verse. Hadn't read it before.