Friday, October 5, 2012

"A" is for Apples...

The letter "A" comes first, so I thought it might make a good title for this entry. An entry that begins (for all intents and purposes), a new blog. (It has, after all, been 3 years?)

I had originally thought about doing ""A" is for Angry Birds" and would have posted pictures of the most recent un-birthday party I did for my two kids, but apples are what I'm currently contending with.
(No fear. I'll share the Angry Bird party love in another post).

But as I said, APPLES. Our tree was supposed to take a break this year, but apparently some industrious bees helped pollinate it. And thank goodness!
This year's crop turned out wonderful and we didn't lose as many this year. (We do the organic apple thing).

So, when our tree produces, we eat apples till we don't want to look at another one, and then dry the rest. So I thought I'd share my favorite drying tips.

Here's what you'll need:

  • Dehydrator (however many trays you want. I only have 4).
  • Apple peeler (I know there are fancy-shmancy ones....I just use a veggie peeler).
  • Apple slicer (or knife, or food processor)
  • Corer
  • Pineapple juice
  • Cinnamon-sugar
  • Wax Paper
  • Plastic bags

First, wash your apples in soapy water.
Dry.
Peel your apples and core them. (Apple core....Baltimore...who's your friend...)
Cut one side of the circle of the apples (so they look like apple donuts).
I do my apples 1/4" to 1/2" thick depending on how long I have to let them dry. I am NOT getting up at 3am to check apples.

Dip apple slices into a bowl of pineapple juice. (You can use lemon juice, but pineapple is yummy). Have another bowl with a colander in it to let the apples drain off the juice. (You can use the drained juice for more apples).
Lay your apples on your dehydrator tray, making sure they don't overlap.

Sprinkle one side of the apple with cinnamon and sugar.


Dry for 3-4 hours. (My dehydrator recommends 135 degrees).
Turn the apples over and dry another 3-4 hours. (Really, it depends on how many trays you use. So check them. They will continue to dry more after you are done. You just don't want them to be wet. You also don't want them to go too long. They have a tendency to stick to the tray if you do. You can continue drying them out on the wax paper).

When the apples are done, put them in plastic bags and hide them. (No, seriously...they are addicting).

They also make for good gifts.



As after-school snacks...

                                                         ...or glasses, apparently.



Anyway, have fun!

No comments: